Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Hairy

Even though it's a beautiful sunny day with temperatures approaching the 90's, signs are beginning to appear that indicate summer is beginning to wane. I offer here three examples:

First, honeychrisp apples have stolen the show from peaches in the display in the grocery store.

Second, it is the day before Allston Christmas. With all the new people moving in traffic is terrible, stores are crowded, the rhythm of the city is disrupted and it is, well, getting a bit hairy.

Finally, I give to you, dear reader, the impending harvest of the hairy squash crop from the local city garden plots:

If you look closely you will glimpse an enormous hairy squash dangling from the garden's trellis. All year long I had wondered why the Asian gardeners built trellis-like roofs over their gardens - so much less pretty than the English style plots. Silly me - now I know - because it doubles the area and allows for squash vines to cover the plot, the bounteous squashes and melons hanging like grapes from a grape vine.


p.s. that bike ride - well, it didn't go so well. I did finish despite a hill-induced asthma attack. I confirmed my suspicions that I'm not fast enough to ride with the group by a long shot. But it was very pretty and I met some nice folks. I'll have to think about whether I'll want to join another ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment